Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Farming for Dummies (that would be me...)

A couple of years ago we moved out to Stafford, VA, from inside the Capitol Beltway of Northern Virginia. We wanted to escape the overcrowded, unfriendly feel of "occupied" Northern Virginia and have some room to move around in, be free to raise a few farm animals and generally enjoy the country. We couldn't be happier with our decision. The life we envisioned comes with challenges and rewards. For instance, living in the country does not mean that I can give up my job in the city, so my commute to work went from 25 - 30 minutes each way to no less than 1.5 hours each way. As anyone who has ever traveled up and down I-95 through Virginia and Washington, DC, knows, that commute is one of the worst in the United States. The reward, however, comes once I am home. I can sit on my front porch and enjoy the peace of our little parcel of paradise, watch the hummingbirds at the feeders, stroll through the woods to my beehives, walk through the garden, enjoy the sunset over the trees, watch my chickens scratch through the yard, or even shoot my guns on my own property without having to worry what the neighbors will think or that someone will call the police. My kids go to a much better school than the one inside the beltway. But I assume anyone who reads a farm blog wants to know about farming, so as we go along we will share our experiences with you. Most of what we are doing is relatively new or brand new to us so I am confident that our mistakes will either confound or amuse you. We' re also not too timid to address politics or religion from time to time, so we invite you to join us on this journey of farming for novices. Sit down, buckle up, and hang on!

No comments:

Post a Comment